Overseas Fieldwork Expenses

The ESRC provides the Grand Union DTP with additional funding to support the costs of conducting overseas fieldwork during the PhD.

The fieldwork must be essential to the completion of the doctoral project and should therefore have been mentioned in the initial research proposal. Full-time students undertaking the doctoral element of their award are eligible to apply for financial support via the Overseas Fieldwork Expenses Scheme (OFE). 

Overseas fieldwork visits will normally last less than 12 months. However, if a strong case for a visit longer than twelve months can be demonstrated, fieldwork of up to a maximum of 18 months may be considered. Financial contributions towards the costs of flights, accommodation, visas, etc is available through the scheme.

You should apply to the DTP Office of your home institution at least 3 months before the proposed trip to ensure time for consideration and to give you plenty of planning time (if you have concerns about meeting this timeframe, please contact your local DTP office). Applications received within 3 months of the intended activity will be reviewed in exceptional circumstances and for applications we receive within 1 month we may not be able review or provide support for the activity. 

Please ensure you read the guidelines for further details on the scheme and applying for support.

As per ESRC guidelines, the DTP is not permitted to fund any travel (or associated costs) to countries the UK Government or Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advises against visiting.


Application guidance Apply now